Deepen your knowledge and understanding of English language teaching with Delta, an advanced blend of theory and practice that will help you to develop professionally. It gives you skills and techniques that will help you throughout your career.
The Course – status & recognition
The Cambridge DELTA Diploma is a professional qualification at level 7 as regulated by the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual) on the Qualifications and Credit Framework and given premium product endorsement by NEAS in Australia
It is postgraduate in level and although it is not a Masters on its own, most UK universities will give Delta holders exemptions and credits on their MA courses related to the subject of teaching English, Linguistics or Applied Linguistics.
You can view the list of exemptions on several UK M.A. programmes here.
In the Cambridge Teaching Qualifications Framework, the Delta is at the level of Proficient to Expert Teacher.
Career development value
After the CELTA, the Cambridge Delta is one of the most sought after and well-respected qualifications internationally. It is recognised by all British Universities and is fast becoming a prerequisite for some of the most interesting jobs in our field all over the world.
Delta holders find themselves eligible for more interesting careers including positions as Directors of Studies and Teacher Trainers – the Delta is a basic prerequisite for those seeking to become CELTA trainers.
The three Modules
The course is organised around three modules, each of which is assessed separately. During the last module (Module III) candidates may focus on an area of specialism from a wide range of topics(e.g., Young Learners, ESP, Exam Classes, and many more: a full list is available on request). but covers other needs and age groups of interest to each candidate as well.
To find out more about the syllabus specifications, assignments and examination, please download and read the new syllabus guidelines by clicking here. Here is the focus of the three modules:
Understanding Language, Methodology & Resources for Teaching
Developing Professional Practice
Assessed via portfolio of background assignments & observed teaching.
To complete Module 2, attendance of a course including seminars, guides reading, directed observations and assessed teaching practice is obligatory.
Click here to download the Delta Handbook for Tutors and Candidates which explains all about the components and assignments which are part of the Module 2 assessment.
Option 1: Extending Practice and ELT Specialism
Assessed via an extended assignment on one of the ELT specialisms listed here:
Option 2: English Language Teaching Management (ELTM).
Assessed via an extended assignment on one of the following sub-specialisms listed below:
Who can attend a DELTA course?
Applicants must have at least one year’s experience of classroom teaching experience at a variety of level and hold a first degree in English or have appropriate qualifications which allow them to teach in their country; in addition, they should have attended a teacher training programme such as a CELTA, COTE or an equivalent Certificate in TEFL.
Course Options at CELT Athens:
Our centre organises manly integrated courses and we advise candidates to follow such courses rather than by separate module for two reasons
- financial reasons: you save more than 500 euro by doing so
- educational reasons as there is considerable overlap across modules and it is more efficient to take them together at the same centre.
Our integrated Delta course is available as a fully online or blended part-time course or as an intensive face-to-face course in Athens.
Please click on each option to visit the information page and decide which is more suited to your needs and your schedule.
Module 2 6-week Course
School Details – Athens
CELT has been offering the Delta Diploma since 1995 and even before that, we offered the predecessors (DTEFLA & DOTE) since the year 1989!
We do have a lot of experience of preparing candidates for this qualification! In addition, we have been offering online part time Delta courses since 2014, so have accumulated considerable experience of materials for online delivery of this course with a multitude of successful candidates who have moved on to great careers in ELT as Directors of Studies, Academic Managers, Teacher trainers, materials writers and more!
The centre is especially supportive to its trainees, and offers:
- Multilingual classes of adults where our candidates can observe and be observed while teaching.
- Excellent pre-, while- and post-course support through a Delta course dedicated wiki with organised links, articles, and resources as well as sample assignments and videotaped seminars for preparation and revision.
- Free internet access and use of PCs for lesson preparation and materials design
- The school also has an excellent library and resources, which have received high praise by all Cambridge Assessors.
You can read details of the syllabus and assessment of all three modules online if you click here – or read the handbook online.
How to Apply
- Choose the start date which interests you. If you’re still unsure, please choose an approximate date for now – you will be able to specify later.
- Download the application form (this page) and save it in your hard drive.
- Complete it offline in your own time and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arrange a date and time when you can take your language and methodology screening exam; the written part is timed and takes about 90 minutes to complete; the interview, anywhere between 40 minute and an hour.
CELT Athens is an authorised teaching awards centre
Send us an email from this page
N.B. Check your spam folder for our reply!